Mtg@Kings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard

+3
darkmist
Richard
Foster
7 posters

Go down

Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard Empty Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard

Post  Foster Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Wow. I gotta tip my hats to Wizard for making such a gutsy change. The info is all here:

Banning Announcement

Explanation
Foster
Foster

Back to top Go down

Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard Empty Re: Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard

Post  Richard Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 am

Richard

Back to top Go down

Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard Empty YES

Post  darkmist Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Yes no more caw-blade decks that just made my day. and now the price for both is going down sharply for the two cards, which sucks. Sell sell them jaces, and mystics now be for they drop in price LOL, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
darkmist
darkmist

Back to top Go down

Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard Empty Re: Banhammer: Jace and Stoneforge banned in Standard

Post  Jason-admin Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:55 pm

can anyone here really complain about caw blade? at kings we only had one caw blade player (myself) for the entire season...figureing most of us never leave kings to play it is the only one we saw. for that matter you might as well complain about valakut or splinter twin (which has been done to some extent). oh well, we will see what happens now, i expect to hear alot of complaining about splinter twin combo now haha.
Jason-admin
Jason-admin
Admin

https://mtgkings.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

You won't hear me complaining about splintertwin or valakut because unlike caw blade you can answer those decks with something besides a mirror

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I'll just start playing Soul Sisters if Splinter Twin starts being the be all end all at Kings.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusch Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Kenny wrote:I'll just start playing Soul Sisters if Splinter Twin starts being the be all end all at Kings.

I don't know if infinite life is the answer to infinite damage.
Very Happy
Rusch
Rusch

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Rusch wrote:
Kenny wrote:I'll just start playing Soul Sisters if Splinter Twin starts being the be all end all at Kings.

I don't know if infinite life is the answer to infinite damage.
Very Happy

actually soul sisters is a perfect counter deck for it....it gains one life for every one damage you can produce. and if they use suture priest you just die haha

but anyway yeah im going to miss caw blade! it was a good challenge to beat! whatever. i think the bannings will encourage some people to play.

cant wait to see where the format goes!
Nate
Nate

https://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusch Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 pm

actually soul sisters is a perfect counter deck for it....it gains one life for every one damage you can produce. and if they use suture priest you just die haha

but anyway yeah im going to miss caw blade! it was a good challenge to beat! whatever. i think the bannings will encourage some people to play.

cant wait to see where the format goes!

Unfortunately though, the combo is sorcery speed, and gets disrupted by all the removal/bounce in the deck. Like obviously they don't, have any interactions with my combo, so I can keep producing my combo for blockers unless suture priest is there, to which I can then just copy up to 20 times till I have an answer. And when I finally have any form of answers to soul sisters or suture priest, the game is over. It might seem like a better match-up if he had anyway interact with the combo to prevent me from tapping stuff and waiting for a definitive answer.

Also soul sisters got hit badly with Stoneforge, now you don't even have a creature to win you a game if you do not manage to gain infinite life. Lol, these bans made me sad.
Rusch
Rusch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason-admin Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 am

suture priest is not an answer to splinter twin, it is easily killed by all of twins removal as andrew said and they don't even have to mess up their timing at all....after playing twin since monday im suprised at how few cards really scare me from playing the twin...the deck just has to much draw power to really care about it. imo twin will probally rise above the rest of the decks because :
1) people make tons of errors agaist it
2) the deck is proabaly more unforgiving to creature based decks
3) it is to hard for aggro decks to keep mana open + stay on the aggro plan and
4) twin >>>>valakut

the only deck i feel i'd be afraid of as a twin deck would be u/b control..but least in our games today playtesting the two, ub is just too slow and was easy enough to load up combo pieces and just throw them at the feild until it stuck and game over.

point - don't play suture priest to stop twin....play spellskite if you want to even try to stop it...even that thou only stops go for the throat, and burn....least its way more annoying cause it can't be removed by: bolt, pryroclasm, dismember, gftt, doom blade, into the roil, inferno
titan, etc. and prevents critical lands/creatures from being tapped...spellskite > preist

rant over...new jace sucks...slightly better then belren....
Jason-admin
Jason-admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 am

i was merely suggesting its not a bad primer. it needs a lot of work especially with the loss of stoneforge (im sad on the inside about that.....) but it might be interesting to play around with. other than that i know spellskite is the best answer. i trashed all twin decks at the fnm here with it. epic win. of course they were all playing UR twin...not grixis (which i feel is the superior build) i will try to playtest against it soon!

and a new jace?

in the meantime any deck suggestions? i have mono black still and a UB brew coming up so far.
Nate
Nate

https://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:45 am

Soul sisters has a lot more against splintertwin than just suture priest and infinite life combos, brave the elements and apostles blessing can both deal with any removal presented by the deck and you could even side in liquid metal coating to add some additional protection against go for the throat. Those cards in conjunction with 5/5 flyers in serra ascendant and a billion over a billion ajani pridemate have already proven in play testing to fair well against splintertwin. But basically it boils down to the fact that instead of trying to take this opportunity to brew a post zenikar deck for use in october we're spending all of our time trying to pretend that our small fnm community isn't going to come up with any solutions to the new format which is a little insulting but who cares about that its not like we're going there to have fun or anything.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason-admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:49 am

soul sisters will do very little vs. the combined power of vkut and twin, even its wonderful creator mr. woods himself admits it. the deck has not exsisted as a t2 deck or better since the rotation of alera, almost a year ago. confused saying soul sisters or suture priest/souls attendant is good vs. twin is the equivalent of saying tunnel Ignus is good vs. vkut. basically its cute and may stall a turn or two every once in awhile but its not going to change the match up to drastically win % wise.

As far as our "little" fnm community goes, i do doubt our ability to find reliable good answers to anything the top decks putout. not from a lack of skill, but from the lack of playtest any one person has at our shop. For example, I played Jund (again the only one at our shop) for 8 months, before Brandon had an idea of playing an anti Jund deck to stop Jund from winning alot. played valakut / ub control after that they were never solved and then play caw-blade and well we all know how that ends. point being it is hard to come up with tech vs any deck only playing it once a week at fnm. and since that is most of our fields playtest time i believe it is very hard for our meta to effectively solve problem decks. not to be insulting that's just the facts, if people are insulted by it, i look forward to seeing competitive rouge decks, but history is agaisnt that.

again we are here to have fun as you said, but we all need to relize people have fun different ways inside our game, some have fun building weird decks, some social aspect of the game, and some by just winning. thats the fun part about magic it caters to everyones personality. But im hope your right that our meta will learn how to build decks to overcome our new twin/vkut overlords.

P.S. there is no point in playtesting a post zendi meta since we are two sets away from that. if you want to do that just look at block tournaments ...basically tempered steel/puresteel paliden decks > RDW > rest of the field. there did your play testing for you cheers

that ends my silly rant hope you enjoyed =)
Jason-admin
Jason-admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down