Mtg@Kings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

post banning twins

3 posters

Go down

post banning twins Empty post banning twins

Post  Nate Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:00 pm

so here is a list i am working on for the post ban environment.
it needs A LOT of work im sure so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

creatures (11):
4 deceiver exarch
4 phyrexian obliterator
3 spellskite

other spells (26):
4 see beyond
2 duress
2 despise
4 inquisition of kozilek
4 preordain
3 go for the throat
3 mana leak
2 spell pierce
2 splinter twin

lands (23):
4 creeping tar pit
4 darkslick shores
1 marsh flats
4 swamp
4 tectonic edge
3 blackcleave cliffs
3 dragonskull summit

also im not sure what i want on the sideboard yet...any ideas?

i know i should have more twins but i only have two right now. im working on getting more. also what do you think of vess in this list? i think she has potential but im not sure what to drop.

Nate
Nate

https://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

post banning twins Empty Re: post banning twins

Post  Jason-admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:30 am

move to SB: 5
4 phrexian obliterators
1 go for the throat

remove from deck: 4
2 duress
2 spell pierce

insert: 9
2 dismember
3 into the roil
4 augery owl

reasons:
1)phrexian oblit does not pass the splinter twin test ( welcome to a test worse then the jace test), hes only good agaist aggro and at that mostly rdw.

2) spell pierce has become largly pointless as in a control deck there is never a reason to really tap out now since you can't use the sword of feast and famine.

3) duress is now pointless with control dying and all the combo decks being based on creatures. might want to cut a despise too to fit another dismember

4)to many go for the throats will kill you vs. tempered steel, so far the only aggro deck that doesn't auto lose to twin, so in turn = new best aggro deck atm lol.

why you should include the following cards:
Augery owl is a two mana for a 1/1 flying blocker that lets you dig three cards to find a deciever for turn three or the twin to finish the combo on turn 4. in general he smothers you draws well. think between preordain and owl you will see 15 cards at the start of turn 3 and on the play will see 16 cards....the odds your combo is in there....high. which means chance of winning = high.

Dismember is single handly the best removal vs. twin, if you think otherwise learn your lesson from caw blade (may you RIP), there is a reason blade decks moved to 4 of dismember in the end. some amount of gftt and doom blades are still good they stop titan decks well. i'm making sure there is 4 of this card in my 75 till rotation if nothing changes to much.

into the roil aagain is a lesson learned from the blade masters, this card does so much and even more now that jace is gone, it bounces anything that stops the combo from going off, and again stalls very well, plus t2 bouncing overgrown battlement is funny vs. vkut.

just some advice, take it as you will.
Jason-admin
Jason-admin
Admin

https://mtgkings.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:57 am

thanks! after fnm today i realized a lot of that. it sucks not having a play test group to figure these things out with....

i ended up removing the spell pierces for two vess. she is AMAZING in the deck. but i like the other suggestions, especially augury owl. i will be testing the changes this week.

i will let you know how it goes!
Nate
Nate

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusch Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 am

I am still unsure as to playing spellskites in the main. They don't actually do anything but protect your combo, and since you already have mana leaks, duress, and inquisition, you have enough protection for game one. I just hated drawing them, I mean it will probably be better versus twin if the entire format shifts to splinter twin so that is something to look out for. I'm going to be keeping them in my board to see if the meta-game change affects how I feel about the card in the main deck. This also allows you to run a grave/inferno titan backbone in the deck. And if you do try to run titan (which I highly recommend since playing that card alone wins you aggro matches) you need to up your land count to 25 or 26.

I would never cut duress, even as a two of in the deck, it pulls answers, it's why I'm playing black to begin with. Having 6 answers to combust with 2 titans in the deck gives valakut players no outs. There really isnt a reason to run despise, the only thing you want to hit in the format are titans (which can be leaked/throated/roiled) and to get exarch, which at some point can be played in response. Likely you are either going to duress a combo piece out, or get the exarch before their turn 3.

Keep testing see beyond, I've been running a couple of forsee's in the deck with 4 beleren's, forsee is better against almost every deck, but way worse against splinter twin or anything that runs countermagic.

Into the roil is probably the second best spell in the deck, so run as many as you can. I cut my only dismember for a 4th one, so you can imagine how I feel about the spell.
Rusch
Rusch

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:43 pm

i will try testing spellskites in the board. i noticed they were little more than a wall in most of my matches....

how do you feel about wurmcoil engine instead of titans?

now that i am cutting obliterators what would you suggest for a mana base? mine is way to inconsistent. a majority of my problems have stemmed from that. blahhh.
Nate
Nate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum