Mtg@Kings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo...

+2
pwner1
Chad
6 posters

Go down

Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo... Empty Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo...

Post  Chad Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:46 pm

I've honestly just sat back and brainstormed. I'm empty. Making my own decks seems to not be working so I turn to netdecks to gain inspiration. I would like to stick with aggro, its easier to play (for me) and to be honest gives me a more enjoyable feeling than a control aspect. I'll throw the links up for a couple of RDWs and maybe put up my version of them.

3-1 Standard Daily 10/10/11
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=932168

3-1 Standard Daily 10/10/11
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=932190

4-0 Standard Daily 10/10/11
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=930858

2011 MTGGrudgeMatch - Swiss Event - 10/01 (1st Place)
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=929805

Looking at every single one of these I notice a common theme, Koth is in all of them. Having only narrowly dodged a defeat by a Koth emblem, I know that he's a scary card.

In the MTGGrudgeMatch deck (http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=929805) the absence of Hero of Oxid Ridge makes me think he isn't a must mainboard but should probably be in the sideboard as seen here. But also taking into account that all other versions have Hero in the maindeck, this will require some testing.

In the http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=932190 variation I saw Devil's Play, which to me is good, due to flashback. But is it really needed in a deck like this? All other versions are lacking the card, which tells me that I should probably board it/test it main deck. Because if you think about it, -2 koth, say at 5 mountains a turn after you play him, you could hit said player/creatures for 9, then flash it back for a little less damage.

Another option is to run 4 Rootbound crags, just to have green mana when you board in Ancient Grudge, I think this is wise if you do have this in the board and will probably try it.

I'm still not done really thinking, but a decklist I can see is

3 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Grim Lavamancer
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge
3 Spikeshot Elder
4 Stormblood Berserker
4 Stromkirk Noble

3 Koth of the Hammer

3 Arc Trail
4 Brimstone Volley
2 Gut Shot
3 Incinerate
4 Shrine of Burning Rage

19 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

Sideboard
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Arc Trail
2 Traitorous Blood
4 Vulshok Refugee
3 Slagstorm
2 Dismember

Sideboard
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Arc Trail
2 Manabarbs
4 Vulshok Refugee
3 Beast Within
2 Dismember

To me, it doesn't look like a bad build. But I always will need a second opinion, what do you guys think?

Thanks
Chad

Last edited by Chad on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 pm; edited 3 times in total

Chad

Back to top Go down

Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo... Empty Re: Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo...

Post  pwner1 Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:29 pm

My thoughts on MonoRed:

3 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Furnace Scamp (could be replaced with stromkirk)
3 Grim Lavamancer (i would run 2 of these max)
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge (not sure how I feel about him to be honest)
3 Spikeshot Elder (i would run 2 of these max as well)
4 Koth of the Hammer
2 Devil's Play (could be better options here)
4 Arc Trail
3 Brimstone Volley
3 Incinerate
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
3 Volt Charge (could work well with shrines)
19 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag (good idea for the ancient grudges)

Everything looks solid to me but I might throw in a few slagstorms.. card just ruins any aggro decks. Geistflame is also a great card in a deck with shrines.

pwner1

Back to top Go down

Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo... Empty Re: Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo...

Post  Chad Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 pm

3 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Furnace Scamp
2 Grim Lavamancer
3 Stormkirke Noble
3 Spikeshot Elder
4 Koth of the Hammer
3 Gutshot
4 Arc Trail
3 Brimstone Volley
3 Incinerate
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
3 Volt Charge
19 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

I will try to keep Furnace Scamp in this deck, as stupid as it sounds I think this card can and will work. Of course I'll have to see. I'll proxy the deck up, problem is I can't get this built before Friday -_-

Chad

Back to top Go down

Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo... Empty Build it

Post  Tenzin Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:12 am

Chad keep in mind you can borrow cards i have most of what u need

Tenzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nate Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 am

I played RDW for quite a while, so I will let you know what I think of each of your card choices. Take it as you will:

Chandra's Phoenix: This card is really cool!
Furnace Scamp: I think it is on the bottom of one drops to be considered for RDW. I would pretty much run anything else. Reckless Waif, maybe?
Grim Lavamancer: This guy is iffy in the current standard. I think decks that incorporate him, really need to build around it in order to effectively utilize him. That being said, I am sure your deck can get away with one or two...I never really played with this guy, so this is just my guess!
Stormkirk Noble: This guy is boss! Top of the one drop list in my opinion.
Spikeshot Elder: I think you need to commit either to the Elder or Lavaman.
Koth: Best card you can be running right now.
Gut Shot: Unless you are running Snapcaster Mage, Geist Flame is pretty much strictly better.
Arc Trail: My favorite burn spell at the moment.
Brimstone Volley: It is a nice finisher spell. If you end up running Chandra, this card is nuts! Otherwise, it is still very good. I think 3-4 is a pretty reasonable count for it.
Incinerate: This isn't Lightning Bolt. I am not really impressed with it at all. I think Galvanic Blast is really what you want to running here.
Shrine: The second best card you can be running in RDW!
Volt Charge: I like the synergy with the +1/+1 counters and the shrine, but it is expensive....maybe 2-3?
Rootbound Crag: Good tech for your Ancient Grudge!

Cards that I noticed were not being run...
Reckless Waif: This is just better than Furnace Scamp
Stormblood Berserker: This guy is great! Especially with all of the fast creatures you are running!
Hero of Oxid Ridge: With all of the creatures you are running, I am quite surprised you are not running this guy. He pretty much ends games.
Chandra: While she isn't a must, I think she has a lot of synergy with the rest of your list. Something to consider.

Also, you said you are missing cards? What do you need?
Hope this helps.
Nate
Nate

https://www.facebook.com/nate.polson1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chad Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:30 pm

3 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Grim Lavamancer
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge
3 Spikeshot Elder
4 Stormblood Berserker
4 Stromkirk Noble

3 Koth of the Hammer

3 Arc Trail
4 Brimstone Volley
2 Gut Shot
3 Incinerate
4 Shrine of Burning Rage

19 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

Sideboard
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Arc Trail
2 Traitorous Blood
4 Vulshok Refugee
3 Slagstorm
2 Dismember

Think its a bit better? I looked at...
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=932634
and saw what you were basically talking about, but once again gutshot was in there. I think the point is to get stormblood out on turn 2 as a 3/3.

As for cards I need, well just about anything on here. I've never even considered running red, of course I know I have Incinerates, etc but no idea about the rest. I'll post something in trade later.

Last edited by Chad on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

Chad

Back to top Go down

Post  AngryJason Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm

have you considered kesieg wolf run if you already running gorges than its super tech for when you get manna flooded which is the bane of RDW's. Also defintly consider (which means you should be playing) stormblood berserker i think its better than chandras phoenix
AngryJason
AngryJason

Back to top Go down

Post  Chad Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:55 pm

My updated decklist right above your post has the beserkers. I probably should, I'll thinkabout it.
Thanks

Chad

Back to top Go down

Post  Chad Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:00 pm

After playtesting against Tenzin's "UW Control?" deck, I have simply reaffirmed the want I have to play this deck. It was a total of 4-2 (or was it 3-2?) and I ended up doing pretty well against it. The biggest problem was... Geist... Geist put pressure on me to play defensively and wait out the swings, drawing into Koth helped me many times in that situation because while Tenzin had me at a choke with Geist, Koth is much scarier when left unchecked. So in most cases he had to swing in and that forced the win. The sheer amount of options I have with the deck make it a bit difficult to play right now beings I'm unused to red, but its not a problem I'll just take a little longer on the plays, which isn't a bad thing. As always the bane of Red is Timely, but I seem to have little to no trouble anymore by playing a bit more defensively and not going into tunnel-vision beatface mode.

I like the deck, I hope I can run it Friday!

Chad

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 am

If your beating UW Control with RDW, Tenzen is just bad... haha jk play my UW control deck ill rape face lol

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Illusions Weren't so Hot on MTGO Sooo... Empty Marcus

Post  Tenzin Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 am

....sigh* marcus you have no room to talk.....

Tenzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 am

Lolol I was jking

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chad Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Marcus wrote:Lolol I was jking

I think he was joking ;P

Yeah I managed to win after thinking about my turn for 3-5 minutes lol

Chad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down